From Academy Award® nominated writer/director Neill Blomkamp (2010, Best Adapted Screenplay, District 9) comes the visionary sci-fi action thriller Elysium, available on Blu-ray and DVD with UltraViolet on 26th December 2013 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The Blu-ray comes with hours of bonus materials, including an extended scene, and six behind-the-scenes featurettes that give an in-depth look at the making of the film, including the performances, production design, visual effects and the technology of Elysium.
Fans get an inside look at the process of shooting the film's visual effects scenes, and incorporating CGI environments and vehicles in post-production with the featurette In Support of Story: The Visual Effects of Elysium. The Technology of 2154 featurette shows filmmakers discussing the technology of Elysium, from independently functioning Droids to next-generation military technology that gives humans machine-enhanced power. The Journey to Elysium explores the pre-production of the film, including the first steps taken to build the "future world" and casting the right actors. This is followed by a discussion with filmmakers and cast on the journey through production, as well as a post-production diary that looks at the editing process, including the challenges of marrying the practical shots with their CGI counterparts. The Visions of 2154 featurette is an interactive exploration of the art and design of Elysium.
Also starring in the film is two-time Academy Award® winner Jodie Foster (1992, Best Actress, The Silence of the Lambs, 1989, Best Actress, The Accused), alongside a strong international supporting cast, including Sharlto Copley (District 9), Alice Braga (I Am Legend), Diego Luna (Y Tu Mama Tambien), Wagner Moura (Elite Squad) and William Fichtner (The Lone Ranger).
In the year 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest who live in an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Delacourt (Foster) will stop at nothing to preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium - but that doesn't stop the people of Earth from trying to get in by any means they can. Max (Damon) agrees to take on a life threatening mission, one that could bring equality to these polarized worlds.
Elysium was produced by Bill Block (District 9, Vanilla Sky), Neill Blomkamp, and Simon Kinberg (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, X-Men: First Class), and executive produced by Sue Baden-Powell (The Box, The Invention of Lying).
Bonus Materials Exclusive to the Blu-ray Include
- Extended Scene - Kruger Wakes Up
- Visions of 2154 - An interactive exploration of the art and design of Elysium
- The Journey to Elysium - Envisioning Elysium - This diary explores all facets of pre-production
- Capturing Elysium - With production in Vancouver, Mexico, and on huge green screen stages, the challenge of filming was nothing short of massive. The filmmakers and cast discuss the journey through the film's production
- Enhancing Elysium - This post-production diary explores the editing process
- In Support of Story: The Visual Effects of Elysium - An in-depth look at the process of shooting visual effects scenes and incorporating CGI environments and vehicles in post-production
- The Technology of 2154 - From independently functioning Droids to next-generation military tech that gives humans machine-enhanced power, get insight from the filmmakers on the technology of Elysium
Bonus Materials Included on Both the Blu-ray and DVD
- Collaboration: Crafting the Performances in Elysium - Meet the dynamic cast and get insight into how they prepared for their roles
- Engineering Utopia: Creating a Society in the Sky - A look at designing and creating the utopian space station
- None or TBC
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.