Five years after The Long Good Friday, Bob Hoskins returned to the gangster genre, but his character George is a mere underling this time, a chauffeur hired by a mesmerisingly slimy gangland kingpin (Michael Caine) to transport a high-class prostitute (Cathy Tyson) from client to client. When she enlists his help in tracking down an old friend, George finds himself exploring a hellish underworld that he never imagined existed.
Hoskins immensely complex, subtle and moving performance hoovered up almost every Best Actor award going (Cannes, a BAFTA, a Golden Globe) and remains one of his greatest roles - a man sucked by circumstance into a life of crime but still righteous enough to seize the opportunity to do good when it presents itself.
Director Neil Jordan (The Company of Wolves, The Crying Game) and co-writer David Leland (Made in Britain) achieve a perfect blend of hard-edged realism and unexpected fantasy, with the regular appearance of the Nat King Cole title song turning seedy British locations (Soho, Brighton) into something far more romantically evocative.
In a brand new restoration sourced from the original camera negative, the classic downbeat British crime thriller Mona Lisa is released on Blu-ray by Arrow Video on 6th July 2015.
- Brand new restoration sourced from the original camera negative, approved by director Neil Jordan and cinematographer Roger Pratt
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
- Original uncompressed PCM mono 1.0 sound
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by Bob Hoskins and Neil Jordan
- Brand new interviews with director Neil Jordan, writer David Leland and producer Stephen Woolley
- Original Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.