The Bluebeard legend has been adapted many times through the years. This classic film noir variation on the tale incorporates influences from Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca into the mix, with gripping results.
Soon after architect Mark Lamphere (Michael Redgrave; Dead of Night) marries Celia (Joan Bennett; Suspiria), she gradually begins to suspect that he has a past life that he's been keeping from her. But she doesn't know the half of it, and when he leaves on a business trip, she starts to uncover the sinister secret of his purpose-designed house and its apparent surplus of rooms, the seventh of which is kept firmly locked. What lies beyond its door?
From the strongly expressionist use of symbolic flowers and shadows in the opening sequence, legendary director Fritz Lang (Metropolis, M) stamps his artistic signature on every frame, helped by suitably high-contrast cinematography by Stanley Cortez (The Night of the Hunter) and a score by composer Miklós Rósza (The Killers) that insinuates itself into every emotional nook and cranny
Secret Beyond The Door is released on Blu-ray 25th June 2018 from Arrow Academy.
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation transferred from original film elements
- Uncompressed mono 1.0 PCM audio soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Commentary by film noir expert Alan K. Rode
- Barry Keith Grant on Secret Beyond the Door, the author and scholar introduces the film
- The House of Lang, a visual essay on Fritz Lang s style by filmmaker David Cairns with a focus on his noir work
- Bluebeard (1947), a radio play aimed at children drawing on the same source as Secret Beyond the Door
- International poster gallery
- Trailer for Lang s 1943 noir, Hangmen Also Die!
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Scott Saslow
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.