The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
Sunday 23rd September 2012
The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present The Passion of Joan of Arc in its worldwide Blu-ray première, in an exclusive new restoration, presented in both 20fps and 24fps playback speeds and featuring Dreyer's own original Danish-language intertitles, available in THREE formats - Blu-ray, DVD and Ltd Edition Dual Format (DVD & Blu-ray) SteelBook editions, released in the UK on 19th November 2012.
One of the most emotional film experiences of any era, Carl Theodor Dreyer's 1928 The Passion of Joan of Arc is a miracle of the cinema, an enigmatic and profoundly moving work that merges the worlds of the viewer and of saintly Joan herself into one shared experience of hushed delirium.
Dreyer's film charts the final days of Joan of Arc as she undergoes the degradation that accompanies her trial for charges of heresy - through her imprisonment and execution at the stake.
The portrayal of Joan by Renée Maria Falconetti is frequently heralded as the all-time finest performance in the history of film and Dreyer's unusual and virtuosic method, in seeming to render the very soul of his actress, vaulted the director decisively into the ranks of the art form's supreme geniuses
- Exclusively restored high-definition master presented in the film's original aspect ratio, in 1080p on the Blu-ray
- Presented in both 20fps and 24fps playback speeds . Optional audio tracks: a piano score performed by Japanese silent film composer Mie Yanashita (for the 20fps option) and a radical accompaniment by esteemed American avant-garde musician Loren Connors (for the 24fps option)
- Newly translated optional English subtitles for Dreyer's original Danish intertitles
- The complete "Lo Duca" version of the film - the version (featuring an alternate edit and soundtrack) that circulated in France and around the world for decades before the rediscovery of Dreyer's "director's cut"
- Extended illustrated booklet featuring the words of Dreyer, rare archival imagery and more
- Further details to be announced nearer the release date!
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.