To Sleep With Anger: Criterion Collection (1990)
Tuesday 19th February 2019
A slow-burning masterwork of the early 1990s, To Sleep With Anger, released on Blu-ray 25th March 2019 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment as part of their Criterion Collection, is the third feature by Charles Burnett and a singular piece of American mythmaking.
In a towering performance, Danny Glover plays the enigmatic southern drifter Harry, a devilish charmer who turns up out of the blue on the South Central Los Angeles doorstep of his old friends. In short order, Harry's presence turns a seemingly peaceful household upside down, exposing smoldering tensions between parents and children, tradition and change, virtue and temptation.
Interweaving evocative strains of gospel and blues with rich, poetic-realist images, To Sleep with Anger is a sublimely stirring film from an autonomous artistic sensibility, a portrait of family resilience steeped in the traditions of black mysticism and folklore.
- New, restored 4K digital transfer, approved by director Charles Burnett, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New interview program featuring Burnett, actors Danny Glover and Sheryl Lee Ralph, and associate producer Linda Koulisis
- A Walk with Charles Burnett, a new hour-long conversation between Burnett and filmmaker Robert Townsend that revisits Burnett's films and shooting locations
- Short video tribute to Burnett produced for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Governors Awards ceremony in 2017
- PLUS: An essay by critic Ashley Clark
- New cover by Charly Palmer
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.