Not Going Out (2006)
Monday 2nd February 2009
The acclaimed second series of Lee Mack's Royal Television Society and Golden Rose award-winning sitcom, Not Going Out, is set to be released on DVD for the first time by Universal Pictures on 2nd February 2009, to coincide with the BBC transmission of the much anticipated third series.
Packed full of the jokes, jibes and general misunderstandings of happy-go-lucky Lee (Lee Mack), his best mate Tim (fellow BAFTA Award winner Tim Vine) and the object of Lee's hapless affections, his landlady and Tim's sister Lucy (Sally Bretton, The Office, Green Wing) the DVD contains the entire seven-part series, the seasonal Christmas Special plus exclusive extras from the cast.
Series two sees Lee with a big problem. His flatmate Kate has moved out for good and his best mate and landlord, Tim has put the apartment up for sale. Faced with the prospect of losing the flat, not to mention his well-meaning but utterly useless cleaner Barbara (Miranda Hart, Hyperdrive and Lead Balloon), Lee rents the spare room to Tim's ambitious younger sister Lucy. The arrangement turns out to be far from perfect however with high-flyer Lucy taking on Lee in a bidding war for the flat.
Sibling rivalry turns into full-on anxiety as uptight accountant Tim quickly becomes suspicious of Lee's influence on his kid sister. To top it all, Lee starts to seriously question the suitability of Lucy's new boyfriend (Simon Dutton, The Saint and Holby City) and he finds his plans for keeping the flat are not plain sailing. On the plus side, his new domestic set-up does lead him to discover the art world, the underworld, and the lengths one man will go for tickets to an England football match
The series two DVD extras include: never-before-seen footage from the rehearsals; behind-the-scenes at a studio recording with Lee actor, comic, writer and stuntman' Mack (and Miranda Hart's bout of Tourettes); plus alternative' audio commentaries on three episodes courtesy of Lee, Tim, Katy Wix (set to appear in Series 3) and writer Andrew Collins.
- Episode 1 - Mortgage Now that Lee's former flatmate Kate has moved back to America, Tim decides to sell the flat. Faced with homelessness, Lee announces he'll buy the flat himself, but realises he can't afford it. He sets to work looking for a flatmate to help pay the mortgage, and an unexpected person seems to be the saviour - Tim's sister Lucy.
- Episode 2 - Gay A misunderstanding leads Lucy to persuade Lee to pretend to be gay in order to get closer to an attractive new business acquaintance, Guy. Initially resistant, Lee changes his mind when he discovers there's something in the arrangement for him tickets to Wembley! But Guy starts to see through his pretence, and puts Lee to the test.
- Episode 3 - Librarian Lee is becoming increasingly riled by Guy's constant presence in the flat, and his distrust of him is fuelled by the discovery that he runs a 'dodgy' business venture. Meanwhile, Tim finally seems to have found a girl who he really likes, and of whom even Lucy approves. The perfect girl until Tim finds out what she does for a living.
- Episode 4 - Baby Lucy is worried about the age gap between her and Guy, a concern that increases when Guy turns up to meet her with his grandson in tow. A family emergency means Lee and Tim are left in charge of the baby, and they prove to be less than perfect babysitters.
- Episode 5 - Art In an effort to appear as intellectual as Lucy's friends, Lee shows off his knowledge' of the art world. When Lucy takes his advice and invests a fortune in the artist's work, Lee is left trying to prevent her from finding out the artist is actually a nobody.
- Episode 6 - Dating As Lucy and Guy's relationship intensifies, Lee starts to ponder his lack of a girlfriend and, encouraged by Barbara, tries speed dating. Meanwhile Tim is forced to go on a disastrous date with Barbara, in order to prove that he sees her as more than the help'.
- Episode 7 - Gangster When Guy showers Lucy with expensive clothes prior to whisking her off for a mystery weekend away, Lee becomes suspicious of Guy. After some high-level surveillance he comes to the conclusion that Guy is a gangster. But Barbara and Tim realise that he doesn't object to Guy just because of his dubious business interests it's also because Lee wants Lucy for himself.
- Episode 8 - Christmas Special Following Lucy's split from her much older boyfriend Guy, Lee hits on a plan to spend some time alone with her at Christmas. However, all is not plain sailing when Tim and Lucy's parents cancel their skiing holiday and decide to join their offspring for a traditional family day. Barbara is called in to help with the Christmas dinner and sees it as an opportunity to turn matchmaker for Lucy and Lee. Lee introduces a murder mystery game over dinner which brings family tensions to a head.
- None or TBC
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.