To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition (1962)
Wednesday 25th January 2012
To Kill a Mockingbird, one of the screen's most beloved and critically acclaimed films, celebrates its 50th anniversary with a commemorative Limited Edition Collector's Series Blu-ray on 13th February 2012 from Universal Pictures UK. The powerful and poignant adaptation of Harper Lee's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel hits the half-century mark, digitally remastered and fully restored from high resolution 35MM original film elements, plus more than three-and-a-half hours of bonus features chronicling the making of the cinematic masterpiece.
The Limited Edition Collector's Blu-ray of To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition will be packaged in a hardcover digibook featuring exclusive movie memorabilia including script pages with Gregory Peck's handwritten notes, storyboards, poster art and much more.
Released theatrically in 1962, To Kill a Mockingbird won instant accolades for its nuanced performances, splendidly crafted narrative and bold endorsement of racial tolerance, fairness and honor, a combination that still resonates with audiences today. It earned eight Academy Award® nominations and three wins including a Best Actor statuette for Gregory Peck in one of his most iconic roles as the principled Alabama lawyer Atticus Finch, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Art Direction.
The prestigious American Film Institute lists To Kill a Mockingbird as one of the 100 Greatest American Films and also names Atticus Finch as the No. 1 Film Hero of All Time. A timeless, enduring classic that remains as relevant and impactful today as it was at its release, To Kill a Mockingbird's appeal continues to span generations.
In honour of its centennial anniversary, Universal Pictures proudly salutes 100 years of unforgettable films that have entertained audiences and touched the hearts of millions around the globe. In celebration of our first 100 years, Universal Studios Home Entertainment is proud to present a selection of our many beloved movies as part of an extensive year-long program that underscores the studio's rich cinematic history and indelible cultural impact.
Experience one of the most significant milestones in film history like never before with To Kill a Mockingbird 50th Anniversary Edition. Screen legend Gregory Peck stars as courageous Southern lawyer Atticus Finch - the Academy Award®-winning performance hailed by the American Film Institute as the Greatest Movie Hero of All Time. Based on Harper Lee's Pulitzer Prize winning novel about innocence, strength and conviction and nominated for eight Academy Awards®, this beloved classic is now digitally remastered and fully restored for optimum picture and sound quality and boasts hours of unforgettable bonus features. Watch it and remember why "it's a sin to kill a mockingbird".
- Fearful Symmetry - A feature-length documentary on the making of To Kill a Mockingbird with cast and crew interviews and a visit to author Harper Lee's home town
- A Conversation with Gregory Peck - An intimate feature-length documentary on one of the most beloved actors in film history with interviews, film clips, home movies and more
- 100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics - An in-depth look at the film restoration process
- Academy Award® Best Actor Acceptance Speech - Gregory Peck's speech after winning the Academy Award® for his performance as Atticus Finch
- American Film Institute Life Achievement Award - Gregory Peck's memorable remarks upon receiving the AFI Life Achievement Award
- Excerpt from "Tribute To Gregory Peck" - Cecilia Peck's heartwarming farewell to her father given at the Academy in celebration of his life
- Scout Remembers - Actress Mary Badham shares her experiences working with Gregory Peck
- Feature Commentary with Director Robert Mulligan and Producer Alan Pakula
- Original Theatrical Trailer
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.