Great Continental Railway Journeys: Series 4 (2016)
Thursday 15th September 2016
In Great Continental Railway Journeys: Series 4, released on DVD on 24th October 2016 from Network, Michael Portillo embarks on six memorable railway journeys across Europe - armed only with his 1913 Bradshaw's Guide and sporting his trademark colourful jackets!
On his travels, Michael visits towns and villages along the way - exploring the sights and sampling local traditions while telling the story of what happened in continental Europe in 1913, when everything changed as the world went to war.
- Sofia To Istanbul - Michael celebrates Bulgarian independence with a traditional Thracian dance, before crossing continents via the Marmaray metro line
- Vienna To Trieste - Navigating a patchwork of nations which once formed part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Michael witnesses the breathtaking Alpine scenery of the Semmering Pass
- Pisa To Lake Garda - This Grand Tour of Italy - from Pisa's famous tower to the waters of Lake Garda - sees Michael exploring the cradle of the Renaissance before embarking on a misguided search for Spaghetti Bolognese...
- Athens To Thessaloniki - Beginning at the Acropolis and ending in Thessaloniki, the site of a royal assassination, Michael reveals the influences at play in the creation of modern Greece
- The Black Forest To Hannover - Michael seeks the essence of Germany - from the unifying tale of Hansel and Gretel to the pioneering scientists who laid the foundation for Germany's world-class transport technology
- Barcelona To Mallorca - Returning to Spain, Michael traces the roots of the Civil War that divided his family, before sampling the perfect paella and paying homage to Barcelona's most famous architect.
- None or TBC
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.