Three years after helping to achieve some of the most amazing imagery in cinema history with 2001: A Space Odyssey, special effects maestro Douglas Trumbull made an auspicious directorial debut at age 29 with the environmentally themed science fiction classic Silent Running. To celebrate its 40th anniversary, The Masters of Cinema Series from Eureka Entertainment is proud to present a new Blu-ray special edition released on 14th November 2011.
In the distant future, plant life on our planet is extinct. Remaining specimens are cultivated in vast greenhouse-like domes orbiting in space. Bruce Dern stars as Freeman Lowell, dedicated botanist aboard the "Valley Forge", awaiting the call to refoliate Earth - despite the scorn of his crewmates. When an order comes to instead destroy the domes and return home, Lowell takes matters into his own hands, beginning a long and lonely voyage into the unknown.
With its remarkable special effects (especially the robot drones Huey, Dewey, and Louie); glorious score (including songs performed by Joan Baez); memorable sound effects (created by Joseph Byrd from the cult band The United States of America); a screenplay co-written by Michael Cimino (The Deer Hunter) and Steven Bochco (Hill Street Blues), and an impassioned central performance from Dern, Silent Running remains a uniquely contemplative and haunting adventure that continues to make hippies of young children, even today.
- Exclusively restored beautiful high-definition 1080p transfer
- Full-length commentary by director Trumbull and actor Bruce Dern
- Isolated music and effects track
- Optional English SDH subtitles on the feature
- The Making of Silent Running, a 1972 on-set documentary [50:00]
- Two video pieces with Douglas Trumbull [31:00 + 5:00]
- A Conversation with Bruce Dern, a discussion with the actor [11:00]
- Original theatrical trailer [3:00]
- A lavish 48-page full-colour booklet featuring rare photographs and artwork from Trumbull's personal collection, and recollections of the film's cinematographer, special designs coordinator, and composer
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.
Triangle of Sadness
The Three Musketeers: Vintage Classics
The Wolf of Wall Street: Limited Edition
Mystery Road: Origin
Robocop: The TV Series
Finding Joy: Series 2
The City of Lost Children