The African Queen: Masters of Cinema (1951)
Monday 9th September 2019
Three movie giants come together in the cinematic classic The African Queen, combining the masterful direction of John Huston with the fabulous chemistry of Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn in their only onscreen pairing. Adapted from a novel by C.S. Forester, this wartime romantic adventure sees the pair forced to travel together down a hazardous East African river after the outbreak of World War I.
Katharine Hepburn plays Rose Sayer, the maiden-lady sister of a prim British missionary (Robert Morley). When invading Germans kill her brother and level the village, Charlie Allnut (Bogart in the role which won him his only Oscar), the slovenly, gin-swilling captain of a tramp steamer called the African Queen, offers to take Rose back to civilisation. She can't tolerate his drinking or bad manners; he isn't crazy about her imperious, judgmental attitude.
However, it does not take long before their passionate dislike turns to love. Together the disparate duo work to ensure their survival on the treacherous waters and devise an ingenious way to destroy a German gunboat.
The African Queen is one of the most beloved films in the history of cinema, and may well be the perfect adventure film. With a roller-coaster storyline complemented by the chemistry between its stars, and masterful direction from John Huston, The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present The African Queen on Blu-ray 18th November 2019 in a special Limited Edition.
- Hardbound Slipcase
- A Limited Edition 60-Page Perfect Bound Collector s book featuring new and archival writing on the film
- Presented in 1080p from Paramount's 4K restoration
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Uncompressed LPCM audio (original mono)
- Isolated Music & Effects track
- Audio Commentary by cinematographer Jack Cardiff
- A brand new and exclusive interview with film critic and writer Kim Newman
- Newly filmed interview with film historian Neil Sinyard
- Embracing Chaos: Making The African Queen [59 mins] a comprehensive documentary about the making of the film
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.
The Running Man
A Man Called Otto
The Great: Season 2
Winnie-The-Pooh: Blood and Honey
All Quiet on the Western Front
Chapelwaite: Season 1
The Rockford Files: Season 2