In 1960, following on from the success of their collaboration on Some Like it Hot, director Billy Wilder (Ace in the Hole, Sunset Boulevard) re-teamed with actor Jack Lemmon (The Odd Couple, Glengarry Glen Ross) for what many consider the pinnacle of their respective careers: The Apartment.
C.C. "Bud" Baxter is a lowly Manhattan office drone with a lucrative sideline in renting out his apartment to adulterous company bosses and their mistresses. When Bud enters into a similar arrangement the firm's personnel director, J.D. Sheldrake, his career prospects begin to look up... and up.
But when he discovers that Sheldrake's mistress is Fran Kubelik, the girl of his dreams, he finds himself forced to choose between his career and the woman he loves.
Winner of five Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Screenplay, The Apartment features a wealth of Hollywood's finest talent - on both sides of the camera - at the top of their game - including writer I.A.L Diamond, whose collaboration with Wilder on Some Like It Hot showed the pair had a winning combination. Stars Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine (who would go on to work with Wilder again in Irma La Douce) are given sterling support from Fred MacMurray (Double Indemnity) and Ray Walston (The Sting), in a film that Roger Ebert said showed director Wilder "had become a master at a kind of sardonic, satiric comedy that had sadness at its center".
By turns cynical, heart-warming and hilarious, Wilder's beautifully made masterpiece now shines like never before in this all-new, 4K-restored edition from Arrow Films. The deluxe collector's Blu-ray includes a "making-of" featurette, profiles of Lemmon and Wilder, and comes with a 150-page hardcover book featuring new writing on this celebrated movie, set at Christmas-time but unlike any other festive film you've ever seen.
The Apartment: Limited Edition is released on Blu-ray 11th December 2017 from Arrow Films.
- Limited Deluxe Edition Blu-ray [3000 copies]
- Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
- Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
- Optional 5.1 remix in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with film producer and historian Bruce Block
- New appreciation of the film and select scene commentary by film historian Philip Kemp
- The Flawed Couple, a new video essay by filmmaker David Cairns on the collaborations between Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon
- Billy Wilder ABC, an overview by David Cairns on the life and career of the filmmaker, covering his films, collaborators and more
- New interview with actress Hope Holiday
- Inside the Apartment, a half-hour "making-of" featurette from 2007 including interviews with Shirley MacLaine, executive producer Walter Mirisch, and others
- Magic Time: The Art of Jack Lemmon, an archive profile of the actor from 2007
- Original screenplay by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond (BD-ROM content)
- Theatrical trailer
- Special collector's packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Ignatius Fitzpatrick
- Collector's 150-page hardcover book featuring new writing by Neil Sinyard, Kat Ellinger, Travis Crawford and Heather Hyche, generously illustrated with rare stills and behind-the-scenes imagery
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.