The Eye of the Needle (1981)
Saturday 4th August 2018
Donald Sutherland (Don't Look Now) and Kate Nelligan (The Prince of Tides) play star-crossed lovers torn between passion and allegiance in this heart-wrenching World War ll-set thriller, played out against the blitz-scarred 1940s backdrop of England and the windswept hills of the Scottish islands.
En route to the Fatherland with secrets that will stop the D-Day invasion, ruthless spy 'The Needle' (Sutherland) finds himself shipwrecked on the remote Storm Island. Here he becomes involved in a perilous affair with the beautiful, but lonely Lucy (Nelligan), who lives there with her bitter, crippled ex-RAF husband, David (Christopher Cazenove). But can the fierce passion of illicit love survive the bitter realities of war?
The Eye of the Needle is re-released on dual-format DVD and Blu-ray 24th September 2018 from Bfi.
- Director Richard Marquand's preferred cut of the film, presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
- Audio commentary by Julie Kirgo, Nick Redman and music historian Jon Burlingame
- Alternate ending sequence, which appeared on the previous UK DVD release
- Donald Sutherland Guardian Interview (1987, 73 mins, audio only)
- Careless Talk Costs Lives: Wartime Warnings (1940, 36 mins): three short wartime propaganda films produced by Ealing Studios for the Ministry of Information
- Theatrical trailer
- Illustrated booklet with full film credits and new writing by Little White Lies essayist Paul Fairclough
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.