Doctor Who: The Power Of The Daleks (1966)
Wednesday 3rd June 2020
Patrick Troughton stars in this recreation of a lost classic from 1966.
The TARDIS brings the Doctor, Polly and Ben to a colony on the swamp planet of Vulcan. Soon after arriving, the Doctor witnesses a brutal murder.
Meanwhile, in another part of the colony an ancient crashed space capsule has been discovered in the swamps. The colony's misguided chief scientist opens the capsule and discovers a group of strange metal 'creatures' inside. The creatures appear to be long dead. The Doctor calls the metal creatures 'Daleks' and claims that they are incredibly dangerous.
Power of the Daleks was the first Doctor Who story to star Patrick Troughton as the Doctor - broadcast between November and December 1966. Sadly, none of the six original broadcast episodes of 'Power of the Daleks' any longer exist in the BBC Film Archives. However, complete audio recordings of the lost episodes have survived in the hands of private collectors. And it is these audio recordings that are used as the basis for this special animated production of the programme.
Now in a brand new edition and brought to you in glorious black and white, Doctor Who: The Power Of The Daleks is released on DVD and Blu-ray 6th July 2020 from BBC Worldwide.
- Two new documentaries about Power of the Daleks
- 1993 BBC audio version of The Power of the Daleks narrated by Tom Baker
- Raw incidental music
- Photogrammetry Featurette
- Whicker's World - I Don't Like My Monsters to Have Oedipus Complexes
- Daleks - The Early Years: A 1992 documentary presented by Peter Davison
- Robin Hood - 1953 Episode: Patrick Troughton's earliest surviving TV appearance
- BBC archive footage from BBC regional news, BBC Breakfast, Blue Peter and Newsnight
- Previously unreleased animation trailers and animatics
- Audio commentaries by Anneke Wills on each episode
- Animation test footage
- Photo Gallery, including previously unreleased and rediscovered full colour on-set photos from 1966
- Servants & Masters - The Making of The Power of the Daleks
- Doctor Who - The Highlanders
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.