Monday 31st December 2018
In 1998, director Hideo Nakata (Dark Water) unleashed a chilling tale of technological terror on unsuspecting audiences, which redefined the horror genre, launched the J-horror boom in the West and introducing a generation of moviegoers to a creepy, dark-haired girl called Sadako.
The film's success spawned a slew of remakes, reimaginations and imitators, but none could quite boast the power of Nakata's original masterpiece, which melded traditional Japanese folklore with contemporary anxieties about the spread of technology.
A group of teenage friends are found dead, their bodies grotesquely contorted, their faces twisted in terror. Reiko (Nanako Matsushima, When Marnie Was There), a journalist and the aunt of one of the victims, sets out to investigate the shocking phenomenon, and in the process uncovers a creepy urban legend about a supposedly cursed videotape, the contents of which causes anyone who views it to die within a week - unless they can persuade someone else to watch it, and, in so doing, pass on the curse...
Arrow Video is proud to present Ring, the film that started it all, restored from the original negative in glorious high definition and supplemented by a wealth of archival and newly created bonus materials.
Ring is released on Blu-ray 18th March 2019. A limited edition boxset containing all three films will also be available the same day.
- Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original camera negative, approved by director of photography Junichiro Hayashi
- High definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Lossless Japanese DTS-HD master audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles
- New audio commentary on Ring by film historian David Kalat
- The Ring Legacy, a series of new interviews from critics and filmmakers on their memories of the Ring series and its enduring legacy
- A Vicious Circle, a new video interview with author and critic Kat Ellinger on the career of Hideo Nakata
- Circumnavigating Ring, a new video essay by author and critic Alexandra Heller-Nicholas on the evolution of the Ring series
- Sadako s Video
- Theatrical trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Truman Show
The Pope's Exorcist
The Wicker Man: 50th Anniversary
Cosa Nostra: Franco Nero in Three Mafia Tales By Damiano Damiani
The Six Million Dollar Man: The Complete Collection
The Handmaid's Tale: Season 5