Deep Cover: The Criterion Collection (1992)
Thursday 24th June 2021
Film noir hits the mean streets of 1990s Los Angeles in this stylish and subversive underworld odyssey from veteran actor-director Bill Duke (The Killing Floor).
Laurence Fishburne (The Matrix) stars as Russell Stevens/John Hull, a police officer who goes undercover as the partner of a dangerously ambitious cocaine trafficker (The Fly's Jeff Goldblum) in order to infiltrate and bring down a powerful Latin American drug ring operating in LA.
But the further Stevens descends into this ruthless world of money, violence, and power, the more disillusioned he becomes-and the harder to make out the line between right and wrong, crime and justice. Steeped in shadowy, neon-soaked atmosphere and featuring Dr. Dre's debut solo single, this unsung gem of the nineties' Black cinema explosion delivers a riveting character study and sleek action thrills alongside a furious moral indictment of America and the devastating failures of the war on drugs.
Deep Cover is given the Criterion treatment and released on Blu-ray 23rd August 2021 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
- New 4K digital restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
- New interview with director Bill Duke
- New conversation between film scholars Racquel J. Gates and Michael B. Gillespie about Deep Cover's place within both the Black film boom of the early 1990s and the noir genre
- New conversation between scholar Claudrena N. Harold and professor, DJ, and podcaster Oliver Wang about the film's title track and its importance to the history of hip-hop
- Panel discussion from 2018 featuring Duke and Fishburne and moderated by film critic Elvis Mitchell
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- An essay by Gillespie
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.