The Colour Of Pomegranates (1969)
Wednesday 24th January 2018
Sergei Parajanov's celebrated masterwork The Colour Of Pomegranates paints an astonishing portrait of the 18th century Armenian poet Sayat Nova, the 'King of Song' and now arrives on Blu-ray for the first time, presented in a stunning new restoration by Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation World Cinema Project and Cineteca di Bologna/L'Immagine Ritrovata laboratory, in association with the National Cinema Centre of Armenia and Gosfilmofond of Russia.
One of cinema's most revered and beautiful films this masterpiece is not a conventional biography but a cinematic expression of Sayat Nova's work, resulting in an extraordinary visual poem. Key moments in his subject's life are illustrated through a series of exquisitely orchestrated tableaux filled with rich colour and stunning iconography, each scene a celluloid painting alive with stylised movement.
Marking 50 years since the start of production, this cinematic masterpiece arrives as The Colour Of Pomegranates Limited Edition Box Set, a luxury two-disc collector's set on Blu-ray complete with a 112-page perfect-bound book, a host of brand new special features, archive material, short film, documentaries and both the Armenian and Russian versions of the film. It arrives on 19th February 2018 from Second Sight Films.
- The Film Foundation's World Cinema Project restoration of The Armenian Version (Parajanov's Cut)
- The Russian Version (Yutkevich's Cut) prepared using The Film Foundation's restored material
- Optional annotated commentary on The Armenian Version by James Steffen, author of The Cinema of Sergei Parajanov and advisor on the new restoration
- Optional audio commentary on The Russian Version by Levon Abrahamyan
- New 2K restoration of Sergei Parajanov's short film Kiev Frescoes with optional annotated commentary by Daniel Bird
- Poetry, Pomegranates and Parajanov: A new appreciation by Daniel Bird
- Pomegranates Rediscovered: Cecilia Cenciarelli of Bologna Cineteca on the multi-national effort to save The Colour of Pomegranates
- Free Parajanov! Tony Rayns on the campaign to free Parajanov
- The World is a Window: The Making of the Colour of Pomegranates
- Memories About Sayat Nova: Levon Grigoryan's 2006 documentary featuring extracts from the rushes
- Parajanov: A Requiem - 114-page limited edition book featuring Martin Scorsese introduction, archive material, new writings, costume designs, storyboards and original literary script.
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Emily The Criminal
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Happy Valley: Series 3
Finding Joy: Series 2
The Three Musketeers: Vintage Classics
The Untold Story
Black Mirror: Series 2