On 7th September 2015, Warner Brothers Home Entertainment will celebrate director Sidney Lumet's Dog Day Afternoon, the explosive drama starring Al Pacino, with a new 40th Anniversary edition Blu-ray available for the first time in the UK.
This unique thriller, filled with sardonic comedy and based on a real-life incident, earned six Academy Award® nominations (including Best Picture) and won an Oscar® for Frank Pierson's streetwise screenplay. John Cazale, Charles Durning (Golden Globe®-nominated for their roles) and James Broderick co-star.
Pacino and Lumet (collaborators on Serpico) reteam for the drama which currently has a 97% Fresh Rotten Tomatoes® Score. Pacino plays mastermind Sonny and John Cazale is his partner Sal - two optimistic nobodies who set out to rob a bank, and unexpectedly create a media circus and a complete disaster.
Cazale's short six-year acting career included only four other films besides Dog Day Afternoon - The Godfather, The Godfather: Part II, The Conversation and The Deer Hunter. In 1978, just after wrapping the latter, Cazale died tragically at age 42 and cinema was robbed of one of its brightest talents.
- Commentary by director Sidney Lumet
- Theatrical Trailer
- Al Pacino extended interview
- Israel Horovitz extended interview
- The American Way" (1962, producer/director Marvin Starkman, screenwriter Bob Feinberg): A rare, offbeat short film tweaking American institutions and starring a young John Cazale
- "The Box" (1969, director Marvin Starkman): Cazale, who had an interest in photography, is featured behind the camera as director of photography in this early short film
- Vintage Featurette "The Making of Dog Day Afternoon": 4-part documentary exploring the actual events that inspired the movie, casting, filming and aftermath
- Vintage Featurette "Lumet: Film Maker"
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.