The Spy Who Came In From The Cold: Masters of Cinema (1965)
Monday 10th May 2021
The acclaimed, best-selling novel by John le Carré, about a Cold War spy on one final dangerous mission in East Germany, is transmuted by director Martin Ritt (Hud, Norma Rae) into a film every bit as precise and ruthless as the book.
Academy Award-nominated Richard Burton (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Becket, 1984) is superb as Alec Leamas, whose relationship with the beautiful librarian Nan, played by ClaireBloom (Hamlet, A Streetcar Named Desire), puts his assignment in jeopardy.
Winner of 4 BAFTA Awards (including Best British Film) The Spy Who Came in from the Cold is a hard-edged and tragic thriller, suffused with the political and social consciousness that defined Ritt's career. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK on Blu-ray on 17th May 2021.
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a restored high-definition digital transfer
- Uncompressed LPCM Stereo audio
- Optional English SDH
- Brand new audio commentary with film scholar Adrian Martin
- Brand new video essay by critic and filmmaker David Cairns
- PLUS: A collector's booklet featuring a new essay by Richard Combs
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.