A moving and uplifting but brutal assessment of love, faith, social pressure and human dignity. Breaking the Waves, released on DVD and Blu-ray on 10th November 2014 courtesy of Artificial Eye, earned an Academy Award® nomination for Emily Watson in her breakthrough role and demonstrated to the world the power of Lars von Trier's filmmaking ability.
In 1970's Scotland, young Bess meets and falls in love with oil rig worker Jan. Despite opposition they marry, and when Jan returns to the rigs Bess counts the days until his return. After Jan is paralysed in an accident, he urges Bess to take a lover and relate their sexual acts to him.
The soundtrack includes music by David Bowie and T-Rex.
- Selected commentary with Lars von Trier, editor Anders Refn - Interviewed by Dod Mantle (44:42)
- Excerpts from the documentary 'Tranceformer - A Film about Lars von Trier' (17:27)
- Interview with Adrian Rawlins (2:09)
- Casting of Emily Watson (with optional commentary) (2:05)
- In Memomory of Katrin Cartlidge (Deleted scene) (1:11)
- Lars von Trier promo clip - Made for the Cannes Festival 1996 (0:15)
- 2 deleted scenes (with optional commentary) (3:34)(2:53)
- 2 extended scenes (with optional commentary) (3:18) (1:32)
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.