30 Days of Night
Monday 4th February 2008
Icon Home Entertainment is thrilled to announce 30 Days of Night; the scariest vampire action horror movie of the year, released on DVD and Blu-ray on 14th April 2008. This relentlessly terrifying edge-of-your-seat film is released as a 2-Disc Special Edition DVD with an exclusive 30 Days of Night graphic novel.
Starring Josh Hartnett (Sin City), Melissa George and Danny Huston (Children of Men, X-Men 3), 30 Days is directed by David Slade (Hard Candy) and produced by Sam Raimi (Spiderman, Evil Dead).
Based on the best-selling graphic novel of the same name and written by Steven Niles and illustrated by Ben Templesmith, 30 Days of Night follows other classic action-packed, nail-biting horror films in the tradition of Near Dark, John Carpenter's The Thing, Clive Barker's Hellraiser and Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later.
For 30 days every winter, the isolated town of Barrow, Alaska is plunged into a state of complete darkness. It's a bitter time when most of the inhabitants head south. This winter, a mysterious group of strangers appear: bloodthirsty vampires. Led by the sinister Marlow (Danny Huston), the merciless vampires take advantage of the uninterrupted darkness to feed on the residents remaining in town. Barrow's Sheriff Eben (Josh Hartnett), his estranged wife, Stella (Melissa George), and an ever-shrinking group of survivors must do anything they can to last until daylight in 30 Days of Night.
30 Days of Night: Blood Trails, a highly collectable accompaniment DVD will available to purchase separately on the same day of the release of the 30 Days of Night 2-Disc Special Edition DVD. Blood Trails features 7 episodes based on the New Orleans storyline from the original 30 Days of Night graphic novel.
- Filmmaker Commentary Josh Hartnett, Melissa George and Producer Rob Tapert
- Pre-Production Featurette As the script powers its way through development, Director David Slade and Producer Rob Tapert begin to assemble a team. You'll see everything from high-tension story meetings with writer Brian Nelson, to David Slade picking out his equipment and crew. You'll even hear Steve Niles talking about the beginnings of his ideas behind creating the graphic novel
- The Vampire Featurette From graphic novel to screen, take a tour with WETA as they design and bring to life each of the vampires. Watch as director David Slade meets with his team of vampire actors and instructs them on how to properly behave like blood-thirsty beasts
- Building Barrow Featurette Production Designer Paul Austerberry takes the viewer through the steps in bringing Barrow to life on a sound stage in New Zealand. See side-by-side comparisons with Barrow as envisioned in the graphic novel, as well as meeting the construction crew and tracking their progress
- The Cast Featurette Director David Slade and company discuss casting decisions. Josh Hartnett, Melissa George, and many more discuss what their characters mean to them, the influences they've pulled from the graphic novel, and the experience of shooting a high-tension action/horror film
- The Look Featurette Director David Slade and his DP Jo Willems tackle the challenge of bringing the graphic novel to life on the screen. Viewers will learn about the important camera decisions, lighting techniques, and post-production tricks involved in creating the look of 30 Days of Night
- Blood, Guts & the Nasty #$&! Featurettte From prosthetic mouldings to selecting the right consistency of blood, WETA and David Slade walk viewers through the battlefield of carnage
- Night Shoots Featurette As the production moves into five weeks of night shoots, the cast and crew slowly begin to resemble the blood-thirsty creatures from the film. As David Slade explains, "At this point, coffee is more important than film stock
- Stunts Featurette Stunt co-ordinator Allan Poppleton guides viewers through the construction of four of the movie's big stunt sequences, from David Slade's conception of a scene to stunt rehearsals, safety precautions, and final execution on the shoot day. Vampires fly off of moving cars, crash through windows and wrestle with a bulldozer
- Enhanced Photo Gallery Graphics Novel to Film Comparison
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.