The Prince of Tides: Criterion Collection (1991)
Tuesday 3rd March 2020
For her acclaimed second feature as a director, Barbra Streisand (Yentl) crafted a sumptuous, emotionally wrenching adaptation of Pat Conroy's best-selling novel-which she also produced and starred in.
Summoned to New York after his sister attempts suicide, Tom Wingo (Cape Fear's Nick Nolte) must serve as her memory, reckoning with the traumas of their southern childhood so that her psychiatrist, Dr. Susan Lowenstein (Streisand), can help her recover. But Tom's sessions with Lowenstein will plunge him into the depths of his own long-repressed pain-and reawaken the possibility of love within him.
Nominated for seven Academy Awards, including best picture and best actor for Nolte's soulful performance, The Prince of Tides is a life-affirming tale of healing and renewal from a triple-threat filmmaker with a keen and humane insight into her characters' sorrows, joys, and yearnings.
With a new 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Barbra Streisand, The Prince of Tides is released on Blu-ray 27th April 2020 as part of the Criterion Collection from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
- New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Barbra Streisand, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary featuring Streisand, recorded in 1991 and updated in 2019
- Making-of featurette from 1991
- Excerpt from a 2018 interview with Streisand, conducted by filmmaker Robert Rodriguez on El Rey Network's The Director's Chair
- Audition and rehearsal footage
- Deleted scenes and alternate takes
- Costume and makeup tests
- Alternate end credits with vocal performance by Streisand
- Behind-the-scenes footage
- Gag reel
- Production-stills gallery and other archival materials
- Interview with author Pat Conroy from a 1992 episode of Cinema Showcase with Jim Whaley
- Interview with Streisand from a 1992 episode of the British television show Aspel & Company with Michael Aspel
- Essay by film historian Bruce Eder
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.