The Technicolor expressionism of Douglas Sirk (All That Heaven Allows) reached a fever pitch with this operatic tragedy, which finds the director pushing his florid visuals and his critiques of American culture to their subversive extremes. Alcoholism, nymphomania, impotence, and deadly jealousy-these are just some of the toxins coursing through a massively wealthy, degenerate Texan oil family.
When a sensible secretary (The Big Sleep's Lauren Bacall) has the misfortune of marrying the clan's neurotic scion (To Be or Not to Be's Robert Stack), it drives a wedge between him and his lifelong best friend (Magnificent Obsession's Rock Hudson) that unleashes a maelstrom of psychosexual angst and fury.
Featuring an unforgettably debauched, Oscar-winning supporting performance by Dorothy Malone (Man of a Thousand Faces) and some of Sirk's most eye-popping mise-en-scène, Written on the Wind is as perverse a family portrait as has ever been splashed across the screen
Written On The Wind is given the Criterion treatment and released on Blu-ray 21st Feburary 2022 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
- New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Acting for Douglas Sirk, a 2008 documentary featuring archival interviews with Sirk; actors Rock Hudson, Robert Stack, and Dorothy Malone; and producer Albert Zugsmith
- New interview with film scholar Patricia White about the film and melodrama
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by filmmaker and critic Blair McClendon
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.