One of the most original and entertaining of the revenge-of-nature films that characterised mid-1970s American horror, Squirm, released on DVD and Blu-ray by Arrow Films on 23rd September 2013, begins with a pylon being downed by a thunderstorm, sending millions of volts into the wet, conductive mud, which naturally gives hundreds of thousands of its wriggly inhabitants an insatiable hunger for human flesh.
And since the accident has also inconveniently cut off the electricity to Fly Creek, Georgia, its population could hardly be more vulnerable when the sun goes down. Houses can be barricaded against most intruders, but what happens when they're small enough to get into the water supply?
Writer-director Jeff Lieberman (who also made the cult classics Blue Sunshine and Just Before Dawn) achieves a near-perfect blend of knowing wit and good old-fashioned scares, with make-up genius Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London) on hand for some of the memorably disgusting special effects.
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD uncut presentation, available in the UK for the first time!
- Original Uncompressed Mono Audio
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with director Jeff Lieberman
- Filmed Live Q&A session with Lieberman and star Don Scardino from New York's Anthology Film Archives (2011)
- The Esoteric Auteur - Kim Newman on Jeff Lieberman and Squirm
- Original Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
- Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Lee Gambin, author of Massacred by Mother Nature and an interview with Jeff Lieberman by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.