In 1974, Stephen King published his first novel, the story of Carrie White, a troubled young girl, bullied by her peers and daughter to a fanatical fundamentalist mother, who discovers she has telekinetic powers. In 1976, it became the first of his works to be adapted for the big screen and, to this day, remains one of the very best.
Carrie marked Brian De Palma's arrival as a major director, following smaller cult films such as Sisters, Phantom of the Paradise and Obsession, and provided a key early role for Sissy Spacek (Badlands), one that would earn her a Best Actress nomination at the Academy Awards. Piper Laurie would also pick up a nomination, for Best Supporting Actress, as Carrie's mother, while future stars such as Amy Irving, John Travolta and Nancy Allen were give their first major parts in a big-screen production.
Restored in 4K from the original negative, Carrie, released on Blu-ray 11th December 2017 from Arrow Film, provides the definitive release of a horror classic.
- 4K restoration from the original negative
- High Definition (1080p) presentation
- DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio and uncompressed 1.0 mono soundtracks
- Optional subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Commentary by Lee Gambin, author of Nope, Nothing Wrong Here: The Making of Cujo, and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Cultographies: Ms. 45 and Devil's Advocates: Suspiria, recorded exclusively for this release
- Brand-new visual essay comparing the various versions and adaptations of Carrie across the years
- Alternate title sequence created for network television screenings
- Acting Carrie, archive featurette containing interviews with director Brian De Palma, actors Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt and others
- More Acting Carrie, additional cast interviews with Laurie, Katt, Nancy Allen, Betty Buckley, Edie McClurg and P.J. Soles
- Visualising Carrie: From Words to Images, archive featurette containing interviews with De Palma, writer Lawrence D. Cohen, editor Paul Hirsch and art director Jack Fisk
- Singing Carrie: Carrie the Musical, archive featurette on the stage musical adaptation of King's novel
- Writing Carrie, an interview with writer Lawrence D. Cohen
- Shooting Carrie, an interview with cinematographer Mario Tosi
- Cutting Carrie, an interview with editor Paul Hirsch
- Casting Carrie, an interview with casting director Harriet B. Helberg
- Bucket of Blood, an interview with composer Pino Donaggio
- Horror's Hallowed Grounds, a look back at the locations of Carrie
- TV spots
- Radio spots
- Carrie trailer reel
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and new artwork by Laz Marquez
- Limited edition 60-page booklet featuring new writing on the film by Neil Mitchell, author of Devil's Advocates: Carrie, a reprint of the Final Girls' 40th anniversary Carrie zine, and an archive interview with Brian De Palma
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.