The Secret Life of Bees (2008)
Tuesday 20th January 2009
Based on the award-winning novel of the same title by Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees features an all-star cast including Queen Latifah, Dakota Fanning, Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys, Paul Bettany and Sophie Okonedo. This remarkable and touching story about a teenage girl's need for love, family and redemption buzzes onto DVD on 30th March 2009, from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.
Set in South Carolina during the turbulent Civil Rights era in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees is the moving tale of Lily Owens (Fanning; War of the Worlds), a 14 year-old girl who is haunted by the death of her late mother. To escape her lonely life and troubled relationship with her father T. Ray (Bettany; Wimbledon), Lily flees with her housekeeper and only friend Rosaleen (Hudson; Sex and the City), to a town which she hopes will hold the secret to her mother's past.
Armed with only a postcard belonging to her mother, Lily's hunt leads her to the intelligent and independent bee-keeping Boatwright sisters, August (Latifah; Chicago, Hairspray), May (Okonedo; Hotel Rwanda) and June (Keys; The Nanny Diaries). As Lily takes on the role of assistant bee-keeper to the Boatwright 'Queen Bee' August, who knows what surprises will be unscrewed from this jar of secrets?
Co-written and directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood, The Secret Life of Bees perfectly portrays the sticky and sweet, yet also serious and spiritual bond that grows between Lily, Rosaleen and the Boatwright sisters. With fantastic special features including eight deleted scenes, four featurettes and world premiere footage, this acclaimed film is sure to satisfy on DVD this March!
- Audio commentary with writer-director Gina Prince-Blythewood, producers Lauren Schuler Donner and Joe Pichirallo, and actors Dakota Fanning and Queen Latifah
- Audio commentary with writer-director Gina Prince-Blythewood and editor Terilyn Shropshire
- Eight deleted scenes with optional audio commentary with writer-director Gina Prince-Blythewood and editor Terilyn Shropshire
- Adaptation: Bringing The Secret Life of Bees to the Big Screen (12 mins 32 secs)
- The Women and Men of The Secret Life of Bees (16 mins 16 secs)
- Inside the Pink House with Sue Monk Kidd (10 mins 7 secs)
- A Day in the Life (9 mins 33 secs)
- The World Premiere (3 mins 23 secs)
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.