Badlands: The Criterion Collection (1973)
Monday 13th May 2019
With a new digital restoration, Badlands, Terrence Malick's exquisite first film, is given the Criterion treatment by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and released on Blu-ray 20th May 2019.
Badlands announced the arrival of a major talent: Terrence Malick. His impressionistic take on the notorious Charles Starkweather killing spree of the late 1950s uses a serial-killer narrative as a springboard for an oblique teenage romance, lovingly and idiosyncratically enacted by Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek.
The film introduced many of the elements that would earn Malick his passionate following: the enigmatic approach to narrative and character, the unusual use of voice-over, the juxtaposition of human violence with natural beauty, the poetic investigation of American dreams and nightmares.
This debut has spawned countless imitations, but none have equalled its strange sublimity.
- New, restored 4K digital transfer, approved by director Terrence Malick, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Making "Badlands," a new documentary featuring actors Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek and art director Jack Fisk
- New interviews with associate editor Billy Weber and executive producer Edward Pressman
- "Charles Starkweather," a 1993 episode of the television programme American Justice, about the real-life story on which the film was loosely based
- A booklet featuring an essay by filmmaker Michael Almereyda
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.