Monty Python alumnus Michael Palin writes and stars in this ribald comedy of sex and sensibility. Timid Reverend Charles Fortescue returns to London in 1906 after ten years of service in Africa to start a mission to save the fallen women of Soho. But his dedication to tending to the needs of those in his care soon meets with the disapproval of the church and his patron.
Directed by Richard Loncraine (Richard III, Bellman and True), The Missionary is a charming and beautifully detailed comedy that boasts a superb supporting cast, including Maggie Smith, Trevor Howard, Denholm Elliott, Michael Hordern, Graham Crowden and Neil Innes.
Released 24th June 2019 from Powerhouse Films, this world Blu-ray premiere edition boasts a stunning new 2K restoration from the original negatives, supervised and approved by cinematographer Peter Hannan and director Richard Loncraine, finally enabling the film to be seen in its original 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio for the first time ever on any home video format.
- Original stereo audio
- Audio commentary with director Richard Loncraine (2019)
- Making the Missionary (2019): Featuring new and exclusive interviews with stars Michael Palin and Maggie Smith
- Interview with Mike Moran (2019): The film's composer discusses his collaborations with HandMade Films
- Interview with Shuna Harwood (2019): New interview with the costume designer
- Interview with Ken Lintott (2019): New interview with the make-up artist
- Interview with Tony Jackson (2019): New interview with the sound recordist
- Rob Deering on The Missionary (2019): An appreciation by the comedian, musician and writer
- Theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: On-set and promotional photography
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by John Oliver, extracts from Michael Palin's diaries on the film's location shooting, archival interviews with Palin, an overview of contemporary critical responses, archival articles and film credits
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.