Apollo 13: 15th Anniversary Edition (1995)
Wednesday 9th June 2010
To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the historic space mission and the 15th anniversary of the Academy Award-winning film, Apollo 13 is now available for the first time ever on Blu-ray from Universal Pictures (UK) on 14th June 2010.
From Academy Award-winning director Ron Howard (The Da Vinci Code, A Beautiful Mind) and based on the dramatic events surrounding the real-life Apollo mission, this riveting story of survival, determination and hope stars Academy Award-winner Tom Hanks(Angels & Demons, Forrest Gump), Bill Paxton (Big Love, Titanic), Kevin Bacon (Frost/Nixon, Mystic River), Gary Sinise (CSI: NY", The Green Mile) and Ed Harris (Gone Baby Gone, A History of Violence).
Less than a year after the world marvelled at man's first moon walk - and only three years after the deadly Apollo 1 fire - the American public thought of the April 1970 Apollo 13 moon mission as just another "routine" space flight. But soon, four words from spacecraft commander Jim Lovell (Hanks) would change all that: "Houston, we have a problem".
Stranded 205,000 miles from home in a crippled spacecraft, Lovell, and two other astronauts, Jack Swigert (Bacon) and Fred Haise (Paxton), fought a desperate battle to survive while mission control's heroic ground crew raced against time, and long odds, to bring them home.
Apollo 13 is a visual masterpiece making it the perfect for Blu-ray and gives the viewer a more intense experience than ever before. The film picked up two Academy Awards and was nominated for a further nine including Best Picture. This ageless masterpiece is jam-packed with some fascinating extras including a feature commentary with director Ron Howard, Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell and his wife Marilyn, along with the making of the film, and a documentary recapping the last 45 years in space plus much more. Apollo 13 offers a fascinating account of this breathtaking mission and is a must have for your Blu-ray collection.
- Feature Commentary: Feature commentary with director Ron Howard, Apollo 13 Commander Jim Lovell and his wife Marilyn
- Lucky 13: The Astronauts Story: A "Dateline" television piece recounting the events of the mission
- Lost Moon: The Triumph Of Apollo 13: The making of the film including behind-the-scenes footage and interviews
- Conquering Space: The Moon And Beyond: A recap of the last 45 years in space
- U-Control: Universal's exclusive signature feature puts the viewer just one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie
- The Apollo Era - Learn about the other big events from the year of this historic mission - without stopping the movie
- Tech-Splanations - Enjoy entertaining explanations of the science and technology of the Apollo 13 missions
- pocket BLU: USHE's groundbreaking pocket BLU app uses iPhone and iPod touch Wi-Fi connections to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray player and offers advanced features such as: Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live; functions with ease; Video Timeline: By turning the phone to landscape mode, users will bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the movie. (iPhone and iPod touch only); Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of exclusive bonus content with their Blu-ray discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a cellular or Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere; Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray Hi-Def. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.