In 1998, director Hideo Nakata (Dark Water) unleashed a chilling tale of technological terror on unsuspecting audiences, which redefined the horror genre, launched the J-horror boom in the West and introduced a generation of moviegoers to a creepy, dark-haired girl called Sadako. The film's success spawned a slew of remakes, reimaginations and imitators, but none could quite boast the power of Nakata's original masterpiece, which melded traditional Japanese folklore with contemporary anxieties about the spread of technology.
A group of teenage friends are found dead, their bodies grotesquely contorted, their faces twisted in terror. Reiko (Nanako Matsushima, When Marnie Was There), a journalist and the aunt of one of the victims, sets out to investigate the shocking phenomenon, and in the process uncovers a creepy urban legend about a supposedly cursed videotape, the contents of which causes anyone who views it to die within a week - unless they can persuade someone else to watch it, and, in so doing, pass on the curse...
Released 18th September 2023 as a limited edition UHD, Arrow Video is proud to present Ringu, the film that started it all, restored from the original negative in glorious 4K and supplemented by a wealth of bonus materials.
- Brand new, exclusive 4K restoration from the original camera negative by Arrow Films
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Lossless Japanese DTS-HD master audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles
- Audio commentary by film historian David Kalat
- The Ringu Legacy - a series of interviews from critics and filmmakers on their memories of the Ringu series and its enduring legacy
- A Vicious Circle - a video interview with author and critic Kat Ellinger on the career of Hideo Nakata
- Circumnavigating Ringu - a video essay by author and critic Alexandra Heller-Nicholas on the evolution of the Ringu series
- Spooks, Sighs and Videotape - a video essay by critic Jasper Sharp on the J-horror phenomenon
- Sadako's video
- Theatrical trailers
- Limited edition packaging featuring two artwork options
- Double-sided fold-out poster featuring two artwork options
- Illustrated collector's booklet featuring writing on the film by Violet Lucca and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.