Made between the commercially disappointing but critically acclaimed Phantom Of The Paradise and the huge international box office smash Carrie, Obsession is director Brian De Palma's first true masterpiece. Inspired by and created as an homage to Hitchcock's Vertigo (and containing additional references to Dial M For Murder and Notorious), the film has been hailed as "Eerie and haunting... unforgettable" (Liz Smith, Cosmopolitan) and as "exquisite entertainment" (Richard Schickel, Time Magazine). Now, this classic and visually sumptuous thriller is coming to Blu-ray, featuring a brand new high definition transfer of the film and a host of extras that include a perfect bound copy of Paul Schrader's original script (detailing un-filmed sequences and a tripartite structure that deals with the past, present and future of protagonist Michael Courtland) and two of De Palma's early short films, Woton's Wake (1962) and The Responsive Eye (1966).
Michael Courtland is a Southern gentleman who seems to have everything - a successful business, a beautiful wife and an adoring young daughter - until a botched kidnapping tears his world apart leaving him widowed, bereaved and bereft. Years later on a trip to Italy, he meets a young woman, Sandra Portinari, who bears an uncanny resemblance to his late wife. Romance blooms and the couple returns to New Orleans with plans to get married. However, on the day of their wedding, history begins to repeat itself when Sandra is kidnapped and held for ransom, sending Michael spiralling into an all-too-familiar nightmare.
A master class in mounting unease and spine-chilling suspense, Obsession stars Oscar winning actor Cliff Robertson (Charly), Oscar nominated actress Genevieve Bujold (Anne Of The Thousand Days) and, in only his second feature performance, twice Oscar nominated and multi Golden Globe and Emmy award winning actor John Lithgow (Terms Of Endearment; The World According To Garp; Dexter; 3rd Rock From The Sun).
- Paul Schrader's original screenplay of the film in a perfect bound booklet
- Obsession Revisited featuring interviews with director Brian De Palma, stars Cliff Robertson and Genevieve Bujold and more!
- Early Brian De Palma short films Woton's Wake (1962) and The Responsive Eye (1966)
- Exclusive collector's booklet featuring an essay on the film by critic and author Brad Stevens
- Original trailer
- Four panel reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Two sided fold out poster
- Original LPCM Mono Audio and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio audio options
- Optional English subtitles for deaf and hearing impaired
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.