Set in '70s Kingston and '80s Hackney, Yardie centres on the life of a young Jamaican man named D (Aml Ameen, Kidulthood), who has never fully recovered from the murder, committed during his childhood, of his older brother Jerry Dread (Everaldo Creary).
D grows up under the wing of a Kingston Don and music producer named King Fox (Sheldon Shepherd). Fox dispatches him to London, where he reconnects with his childhood sweetheart, Yvonne (Shantol Jackson), and his daughter who he's not seen since she was a baby. He also hooks up with a soundclash crew, called High Noon. But before he can be convinced to abandon his life of crime and follow "the righteous path", he encounters the man who shot his brother 10 years earlier, and embarks on a bloody, explosive quest for retribution - a quest which brings him into conflict with vicious London gangster Rico (Stephen Graham, This Is England).
Idris Elba's directorial debut featurette Yardie is released on DVD and Blu-ray 26th December 2018 from StudioCanal.
- Idris' Directorial Debut Featurette - Hear from cast and Idris himself about the minutiae of directing as an art form; his passion for music and storytelling; and fed into creating Yardie
- D's Journey Featurette - A deep dive into Yardie's protagonist, learn more about what motivates D; the mystery in his character that entices Yvonne and why Yardie is, above all else, a film about the rites of passage
- Interviews with Cast and Crew - Aml Ameen With intriguing insights and anecdotes, hear from Aml Ameen who plays the lead character of D in Yardie. Learn about how Aml became involved in the project; the 'shorthand' he shares with Idris Elba; and music's crucial ability to hit the bloodstream
- Idris Elba - In his directorial debut, understand why Idris strived to draw upon his own memories and experiences; how he created authenticity in the Kingston and Hackney settings and why the dynamics of any story live and die by how you tell it. Idris also gives us insight into the learning curves he had as a first-time director and why filmmaking can be compared to paella in this insightful interview
- Shantol Jackson - Through her performance as Yvonne, Shantol Jackson portrays a character of strength and a grounding force for protagonist D. In this interview learn more about the personal experiences and family members who inspired Shantol, how she created chemistry with Aml Ameen and the importance of the love story in Yardie
- Deleted Scenes - Enjoy deleted scenes from Yardie including D with his grandmother in the market, the full scene of Yvonne cutting D's hair plus two scenes with Piper
- Idris Elba In Conversation with Blacker Dread - Idris sits down with the legendary icon Blacker Dread to discuss the music in Yardie. Hear Blacker choose his favourite songs from the official soundtrack and learn how Idris went about choosing his selection. The pair deep dive about the genesis of the infamous song 'Revolution' and discuss how songs are transferrable across genres and are key to taking an audience on a journey
- Idris Elba In Conversation with Aml Ameen - Director Idris Elba and lead actor Aml Ameen discuss their experience of filming Yardie
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.