In 1998, director Hideo Nakata (Dark Water) unleashed a chilling tale of technological terror on unsuspecting audiences, which redefined the horror genre, launched the J-horror boom in the West and introducing a generation of moviegoers to a creepy, dark-haired girl called Sadako. The film's success spawned a slew of remakes, reimaginations and imitators, but none could quite boast the power of Nakata's original masterpiece, which melded traditional Japanese folklore with contemporary anxieties about the spread of technology.
A group of teenage friends are found dead, their bodies grotesquely contorted, their faces twisted in terror. Reiko (Nanako Matsushima, When Marnie Was There), a journalist and the aunt of one of the victims, sets out to investigate the shocking phenomenon, and in the process uncovers a creepy urban legend about a supposedly cursed videotape, the contents of which causes anyone who views it to die within a week unless they can persuade someone else to watch it, and, in so doing, pass on the curse...
Released 18th March 2019 on Blu-ray, Arrow Video is proud to present the genre-defining trilogy Ring, the film that started it all, plus Hideo Nakata's chilling sequel, Ring 2, and the haunting origin story, Ring 0 as well as the lost original sequel, George Iida's Spiral, gathered together in glorious high definition and supplemented by a wealth of archival and newly created bonus materials.
- Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original camera negative of Ring, approved by director of photography Junichiro Hayashi
- High definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations
- Lossless Japanese DTS-HD master audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles
- Bonus feature: Spiral, George Iida's 1998 sequel to Ring
- New audio commentary on Ring by film historian David Kalat
- New audio commentary on Ring 0 by author and critic Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
- The Ring Legacy, a series of new interviews from critics and filmmakers on their memories of the Ring series and its enduring legacy
- A Vicious Circle, a new video interview with author and critic Kat Ellinger on the career of Hideo Nakata
- Circumnavigating Ring, a new video essay by author and critic Alexandra Heller-Nicholas on the evolution of the Ring series
- Spooks, Sighs and Videotape, a new video essay by critic Jasper Sharp on the J-horror phenomenon
- The Psychology of Fear, a newly edited archival interview with author Koji Suzuki
- Archival behind-the-scenes featurette on Ring 0
- Ring 0 deleted scenes
- Sadako's Video
- Multiple theatrical trailers for the Ring series
- Limited edition 60-page booklet containing new writing by Violet Lucca, Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, Jasper Sharp, Kieran Fisher and Kat Ellinger
- Limited edition packaging featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.