La Vérité: Criterion Collection (1960)
Monday 21st January 2019
Beautiful, troubled Dominique Marceau (Brigitte Bardot) came to bohemian Paris to escape the suffocation of provincial life, only to wind up in a courtroom, accused of a terrible crime: the murder of her lover (Band of Outsiders' Sami Frey).
As the trial commences and the lawyers begin tangling over Dominique's fate, the Oscar-nominated La vérité, directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot (Diabolique), delves into her past, reconstructing her struggle to find a foothold in the city. What emerges is a nuanced portrait of an impulsive young woman misunderstood and mistreated by those around her, and of her ultimately tragic affair with an up-and-coming conductor.
With an astonishing performance by Bardot, Clouzot's affecting and intricately constructed film-a huge late-career success for the French master-renders a harsh verdict against a hypocritical and moralistic society.
La Vérité is given the Criterion treatment on Blu-ray 25th February 2019 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Le scandale Clouzot, a sixty-minute documentary from 2017 on director Henri-Georges Clouzot
- Interview from 1960 with Clouzot
- Interview with actor Brigitte Bardot from the 1982 documentary Brigitte Bardot telle qu'elle
- New English subtitle translation
- PLUS: An essay by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.