Sunday 27th July 2014
Released for the first time on home video in the English-speaking world, Independencia, released on DVD by Second Run on 11th August 2014, is a unique alternate-history fable from acclaimed Filipino director Raya Martin as he re-imagines his country's history as an elemental humanist epic.
Fleeing the American invasion of the Philippines in the early 20th Century, a mother and son retreat into the jungle where they make a home. Time passes; a wounded woman is rescued; the mother dies; a child is born. The family survive isolated from the growing chaos engulfing their country, but a storm approaches that threatens their existence as American troops draw nearer.
Ingeniously staged on studio sets that evoke the lost period of early and silent cinema, Independencia's mesmerising visual aesthetic creates a lush metaphor for the mythical history and identity of the Philippines.
Second Run's release also features the world premiere of a new short film, created exclusively for this release by director Raya Martin.
- World premiere of exclusive new short film
- Excerpt from ndependencia 86: The Lost Film of Arturo Madlangbayan re-edited by Miko Revereza and Raya Martin
- HS digital transfer with restored picture and sound, approved by the director
- Behind the Scenes the making of Independencia
- Raya Martin's experimental silent short Track Projections (2007)
- Exclusive DVD-ROM features original English script PDF + MP3 theme song
- 16-page booklet featuring a new essay on the film by Antoine Thirion
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Released for the first time on home video in the English-speaking world
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.