True Detective - Season 1
Sunday 27th April 2014
HBO Home Entertainment's groundbreaking and universally acclaimed new thriller series True Detective is released on Blu-ray and DVD on 9th June 2014 following its successful broadcast on Sky Atlantic.
The must-see next box set for fans of HBO's The Sopranos and The Wire and dark thrillers The Following and Se7en, this existential drama is a truly unsettling cinematic epic in long form, starring Academy® Award winner Mathew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club) and Emmy® Award winner Woody Harrelson (The Hunger Games). Their characters are partners on a sinister case that takes place in the pits of rural Louisiana, contending with oil industry pollution, religious zealots and satanic sacrificial murders.
Created and written by Nic Pizzolatto (The Killing) and with every episode shot on 35mm film by director Cary Fukunaga (Jane Eyre), who uses the Southern Louisiana landscape to achieve an eerie film noir effect, the bleak brilliance of True Detective is that it asks viewers to also be the detectives. It's time-shifting structure creates a hugely intriguing show that has won critics and viewers around the world and makes for a gripping and addictive experience as the on-screen events are played out to a conclusion that will have you guessing right until the very end.
In 2012, Louisiana State Police Detectives Rust Cohle (McConaughey), and Martin Hart (Harrelson), are brought in to revisit a homicide case they worked in 1995. As the inquiry unfolds in present day through separate interrogations, the two former detectives narrate the story of their investigation, reopening unhealed wounds and drawing into question their supposed solving of a bizarre ritualistic murder in 1995. The timelines braid and converge into 2012, as each man is pulled back into a world they believed they'd left behind. In learning about each other and their killer, it becomes clear that darkness lives on both sides of the law.
In addition to its A-list leading men, True Detective features a critically acclaimed cast including Michelle Monaghan (Source Code, Due Date) as Maggie Hart, Kevin Dunn (VEEP, Transformers), as Major Ken Quesada and Tory Kittles (CSI: Miami, Sons of Anarchy) and Michael Potts (Law and Order, The Wire) as the inquisitive detectives who question Rust and Marty in the 2012 scenes.
An outstanding soundtrack featuring the haunting, opening title song Far From Any Road by The Handsome Family, sets the scene along with compositions by T Bone Burnett (Inside Llewyn Davis, O Brother Where Art Thou?), The Black Angels, Father John Misty, Steve Earl and many more.
True Detective is released on Blu-ray and DVD on 9th June 2014 courtesy of HBO Home Entertainment.
- Making True Detective - A behind-the-scenes look at production on the hit series, featuring interviews with cast and crew and including never-before-seen footage from Episode 4
- Up Close with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson - Exclusive interviews with the stars about filming the series
- A Conversation with Nic Pizzolatto and T Bone Burnett - An in-depth discussion with the series writer/creator/executive producer and the legendary composer on both the series and the pivotal role music played in the show's development
- Inside the Episode - Series creator/executive producer/writer Nic Pizzolatto and director Cary Joji Fukunaga discuss character development and offer insights into each episode of the series
- Two audio commentaries - Featuring series creator/executive producer/writer Nic Pizzolatto, composer T Bone Burnett and Executive Producer Scott Stephens
- Deleted Scenes - Never-before-seen episodic footage from the series