Lord of the Flies: The Criterion Collection (1963)
Wednesday 23rd August 2017
In a new special edition, the most indelible adaptation of the classic novel, Lord of the Flies, is given the Criterion treatment and released on Blu-ray 28th August 2017 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
In the hands of the renowned experimental theatre director Peter Brook, William Golding's legendary novel on the primitivism lurking beneath civilization becomes a film as raw and ragged as the lost boys at its centre
Taking an innovative documentary-like approach, Brook shot Lord of the Flies with an off-the-cuff naturalism, seeming to record a spontaneous eruption of its characters' ids. The result is a rattling masterpiece, as provocative as its source material.
- New digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Satyajit Ray (1984), a feature documentary by Shyam Benegal that chronicles Ray's career and includes interviews with the filmmaker, family photographs, and extensive clips from his films
- New interview with filmmaker Mira Nair
- New interview in which Ray biographer Andrew Robinson discusses the making of The Music Room and the film's cultural significance
- Excerpt from a 1981 French roundtable discussion with Ray, film critic Michel Ciment, and filmmaker Claude Sautet
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Philip Kemp as well as reprints of a 1963 essay by Ray and a 1986 interview with the director about the film's music
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.