Sunday 22nd March 2015
Regarded as one of the best of the Blaxploitation genre along with Shaft and Superfly, Coffy, released on Blu-ray by Arrow Video on 6th April 2015, has been described as one of the most entertaining films ever made by Quentin Tarantino.
With Coffy, Pam Grier was catapulted to stardom and iconic status following solid roles in earlier chicks in chains films. Here she plays nurse Coffy Coffin seeking vigilante justice when her little sister is hospitalised by a smack pusher. Coffy uses her body, bullets and blades to get justice, working her way to the top of the criminal ring. But as she nears the top she finds the level of corruption is closer to home than she thinks.
When American International Pictures lost the chance to make Cleopatra Jones the studio looked for another project and turned to up and coming B-movie auteur Jack Hill (Spider Baby, Pit Stop). Coffy was such a success that the studio fast tracked Grier's next movie (Foxy Brown) with Hill straight away.
- Restored High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation, on Blu-ray for the first time in the world!
- Original uncompressed mono PCM audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by writer-director Jack Hill
- A Taste of Coffy A brand new interview with Jack Hill
- The Baddest Chick in Town! A brand new interview with Pam Grier on Coffy and its follow up, Foxy Brown
- Blaxploitation! A video essay by author Mikel J. Koven (Blaxploitation Film) on the history and development of the genre
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image Gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
- Booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Cullen Gallagher and a profile of Pam Grier by Yvonne D. Sims, author of Women in Blaxploitation, illustrated with archive stills and posters
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.