Thursday 8th September 2011
John Carpenter's pulp science fiction classic - this brilliantly clever and funny parody of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, follows a warped intergalactic mission to blow up unstable planets. Four bored astronauts fill in time between missions catching up on their tans with the help of a sunlamp, playing with a suspiciously plastic-looking alien mascot they are taking back to Earth and conversing with their female version of Hal. Things start to go horribly wrong as the spaceship computer misfires and a surfer makes it back to Earth Surfing on an improvised board.
Dark Star was intended to be a 68 minute student film. Hollywood Producer Jack Harris managed to convince the film-makers to shoot 15 minutes of extra footage and released the expanded version theatrically.
This all new Blu-ray edition has been sourced from an original 16 x 9 35mm theatrical print. The film was originally shot on 16mm, and then blown up to 35mm for theatrical distribution. The new master has been subject to a new grade and extensive manual frame by frame digital restoration with enhance and restored to Dolby Digital 5.1
- An all new feature length documentary entitled Let There Be Light (116mins): The Odyssey of Dark Star. Exploring the controversial making of the John Carpenter and writer Dan O'Bannon (Alien) student film
- Archival interviews with John Carpenter and many more
- Plus the final interview with Dan O'Bannon
- Interview with Brian Narelle, cinematographer Doug Knapp, art director Tommy Lee Wallace, visual effects artist Greg Jein, voice artist Cookie Knapp, film director Jack Harris, Dianne O'Bannon, USC Alumni / director Jeff Burr
- Original Directors Cut of the Feature & Theatrical Cut of the Feature
- Original Film Trailer
- Stills Gallery - Poster Gallery - Lobby Gallery
- New CGI Menus
- Cast & Crew Biographies
- English & Spanish Subtitles
- None or TBC
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.