The Boxtrolls (2014)
Thursday 4th December 2014
Heroes come in all shapes and sizes in the family event movie The Boxtrolls. Starring, in voice performance, Academy Award winner Ben Kingsley, Isaac Hempstead Wright (Game of Thrones), and Elle Fanning (Maleficent), the new movie from animation studio LAIKA, the makers of the Academy Award®-nominated Coraline and ParaNorman, comes to Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD 26th January 2015 from Universal Pictures UK.
The Boxtrolls is a comedic fable that unfolds in Cheesebridge, a posh Victorian-era town obsessed with wealth, class and the stinkiest of fine cheeses. Beneath its charming cobblestone streets dwell the Boxtrolls, foul monsters who crawl out of the sewers at night and steal what the townspeople hold most dear: their children and their cheeses. At least that's the legend residents have always believed.
In truth, the Boxtrolls are an underground cavern-dwelling community of quirky and lovable oddballs who wear recycled cardboard boxes the way turtles wear their shells. The Boxtrolls have raised an orphaned human boy, Eggs (voiced by Isaac Hempstead-Wright), since infancy as one of their dumpster-diving and mechanical junk-collecting own.
When the Boxtrolls are targeted by a villainous pest exterminator Archibald Snatcher (Academy Award winner Ben Kingsley) who is bent on eradicating them as his ticket to Cheesebridge society, the kind-hearted band of tinkerers must turn to their adopted charge and an adventurous rich girl Winnie (Elle Fanning) to bridge two worlds amidst the winds of change - and cheese.
Based upon the book Here Be Monsters! The Boxtrolls voice cast also includes Academy Award® nominee Toni Collette, Jared Harris (Mad Men), Nick Frost (The World's End), Richard Ayoade (The Watch), Tracy Morgan (30 Rock), and Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead).
- Preliminary animatic sequences - play with commentary by directors Anthony Stacchi and Graham Annable; baby in the trash; eggs in the underworld; man on a horse; Trubshaw's Inventorium; cheese shop; tea and cheese
- Dare to be square: behind the scenes of the boxtrolls
- Voicing the Boxtrolls - the tremendously talented cast members of the Boxtrolls discuss what it's like to voice an animated puppet, what each actor brought to his/her role, whether their personalities were similar to their characters, and more
- Inside the box - the directors, producers, and creative supervisor of character fabrication Georgina Hayns share the challenges of crafting characters who are inside a box
- The big cheese: Allergy snatcher - the directors and producers are joined by Brian McLean, director of Rapid Prototyping, to discuss how the animation studio LAIKA creates the faces for their puppets. The big story here - literally! - is how snatcher's face changes shape due to his cheese allergy
- Deconstructing the dance - Discover how LAIKA combined traditional stop-motion animation with visual effects in order to create the beautiful ballroom dance sequence - and how costume designer Deborah Cook met the challenge of creating costumes that could flow during a dance scene
- Think big: The mecha drill - standing 5 feet tall and weighing over 75 pounds, the mecha-drill is the largest stop motion puppet/prop ever created by LAIKA. Follow its creation from design to completion
- The nature of creation featurette
- Trolls right off the tongue featurette
- Allergic to easy featurette
- Let's dance featurette
- On the shoulders of giants featurette
- Feature commentary with directors Anthony Stacchi and Graham Annable
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.