The Graduate: 50th Anniversary Edition (1967)
Sunday 2nd July 2017
One of the most beloved American films of all time, The Graduate is 50 this year, and StudioCanal are very proud to be celebrating this anniversary with a Special Edition DVD, Blu-Ray and EST release on 14th August 2017.
A complete sensation on its original release in 1967, The Graduate was a one-of-a-kind cinematic portrait of America, which captured the mood of disaffected youth seething beneath the laid-back exterior of 1960s California. It earned Mike Nichols a Best Director Oscar, introduced the music of Simon & Garfunkel to a wider audience and featured one of the most famous seductions in movie history and a truly iconic final scene. The Graduate also introduced the world to a young actor named Dustin Hoffman, perfectly cast as the jaw-droppingly naïve Benjamin.
Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) has just finished college and is already lost in a sea of confusion as he wonders what to do with his life. He returns to his parents' luxurious Beverly Hills home, where he idles away the summer floating in the pool and brooding in silence. He is rescued from the boredom when he is seduced into a clandestine affair with a middle-aged married friend of his parents, Mrs Robinson (Anne Bancroft). That liaison is soon complicated by Benjamin's infatuation with her college-age daughter Elaine (Katharine Ross).
Visually imaginative and impeccably acted, with a witty, endlessly quotable script by Calder Willingham and Buck Henry (based on the novel by Charles Webb), with a supporting cast that includes William Daniels, Murray Hamilton, Walter Brooke and Elizabeth Wilson, The Graduate had the kind of cultural impact that comes along only once in a generation.
This 50th Anniversary 4K restoration was created from the 35mm original camera negative by the Criterion Collection. The colour timing was done by referencing a previous colour grading that had been supervised by Grover Crisp at Sony Pictures and approved by director Mike Nichols. The 5.1 surround-sound remix, approved by the director, was created from the 35mm magnetic tracks and the original soundtrack recordings at Chace Audio.
- New interview with Lawrence Turman
- Interview with Dustin Hoffman (23 mins)
- Interview with author Charles Webb (20 mins)
- American Masters: Mike Nichols documentary (53 mins)
- The Graduate at 25 (22 mins)
- Students of the Graduate (26 mins)
- The Graduate: Looking Back (13 mins)
- Audio commentary with Mike Nichols / Steven Soderbergh
- Audio commentary with Dustin Hoffman / Katherine Ross
- Audio commentary with Professor Thomas Koebner
- Screen tests
- Analysis of Seduction scene (9 mins)
- About The Music - Analysis of the soundtrack (8 mins)
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by Time Out film editor Dave Calhoun and exclusive behind the scenes photos, taken by renowned photographer Bill Willoughby.
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.