This is England (2006)
Wednesday 1st August 2007
Marking the fifth feature film from award-winning writer/director Shane Meadows (Dead Man's Shoes, A Room for Romeo Brass, Twentyfourseven), This is England, released by Optimum Home Entertainment on 3rd September 2007 as a two disc special edition, tells the story of Shaun (Thomas Turgoose), an 11 year old kid growing up in the north of England.
Set during the summer holidays of 1983, it follows his rites of passage from a shaggy haired ruffian grieving the loss of his father into a shaven headed thug whose anger and pain are embraced by the local skinhead fraternity. This Is England won Best British Independent Film and Thomas Turgoose Most Promising Newcomer Award at the British Independent Film Awards as well as awards at the London and Rome Film Festivals.
The ensemble cast includes newcomer Thomas Turgoose playing the role of Shaun, Stephen Graham (Gangs of New York), Jo Hartley (Dead Man's Shoes), Joe Gilgun (Emmerdale), Andrew Shim (A Room for Romeo Brass, Once Upon a Time in the Midlands) and Vicky McClure (A Room for Romeo Brass).
The soundtrack vividly evokes the era and features Toots & The Maytals, The Specials, Dexy's Midnight Runners and Soft Cell.
- Commentary with director Shane Meadows, producer Mark Herbert and lead actor Thomas Turgoose
- Behind the Scenes
- Deleted scenes
- Guardian interview with Shane Meadows at BFI Southbank
- Interview with Shane Meadows (Jason Wood for Picturehouse cinemas)
- Interview with Mark Herbert
- Production Departments: Hair, Make-up and Costumes
- Crew interviews & Rehearsals
- Production Design
- Essays on Skinheads and The Falklands War
- Cast Biographies
- Theatrical Trailer
Please note - Disc special features are subject to change, may differ from format to format and/or may differ from region to region.